YOU MUST KNOW
- From the commencement of the yard test to the completion of the road test, the following items shall be marked throughout:
- Violation of traffic law;
- Uncontrolled/ dangerous action, and
- Collision / Mechanical failure.
THE YARD TEST:
- The yard test (pre-trip inspections and maneuvers) shall be completed within 20 minutes (stopwatch time);
- Stopping shall be permitted at any stage during certain maneuvers;
- Observation shall be done, and signals given as though on a public road;
- Wearing of a seatbelt shall not be necessary during the yard test;
- All road traffic signs, signals, rules and markings shall be obeyed;
- Should the test be terminated at any stage, the full test shall have to be repeated. Touching any obstacle or mounting a kerb shall not be permissible;
- The push and pull method of steering is not required during the yard test,
- No uncontrolled or dangerous action shall be permitted; and
- Questions may be asked pertaining the above.
THE ROAD TEST:
Prior to the commencement of the road test the applicable information and the engine is switched off.
The examiner shall not give any instructions to carry out an illegal action and instructions shall be given to the applicant whilst the vehicle is stationary and shall instruct the applicant:
- Well in advance;
- In a clear, concise and audible manner;
- If necessary, repeat any instruction;
- Giving, as far as possible, one instruction at a time;
- If he/she has a physical disability, he/she shall nevertheless attempt to check the appropriate blind spot;
- Should the test be terminated at any stage, the full test shall have to be repeated. (This includes the yard test and road test);
- That the wearing of the seat belt is now compulsory as well as the "push and pull" method of the steering, and
- All road traffic signs, signals, rules and markings shall be obeyed.
- A lane change, at least one of the hand signals and an emergency stop shall be executed irrespective of the weather conditions on instruction of the examiner during every test.
TIME LIMITS AND CUT-OFF POINTS:
THE YARD TEST:
- The duration of the test shall not exceed 20 minutes;
- An applicant fails the yard test and the test shall be discontinued if:
- He/she has been allocated more than 50 penalty points,
- A circle has been drawn around any black block (for example: action, collision/mechanical failure, roll, obstacle, number of attempts, mounts kerb, number of movements (3-point turn).
- The time limit of 20 minutes was exceeded, or
- Roadworthiness, violation of traffic law, uncontrolled/dangerous
THE ROAD TEST:
- The road test shall commence only when the applicant has passed the yard test and the necessary instructions for the road test have been given whilst the vehicle is stationary, and the engine switched off.
- The duration of the road test shall exceed 20 minutes and not be longer than 45 minutes.
An applicant fails the road test if:
- He/she has exceeded the permissible maximum penalty points allowed, or a circle was drawn around any black block (for example: roadworthiness, violation of traffic law, uncontrolled/dangerous action, collision/mechanical failure, roll, number of attempts (emergency stop).
- Should the test be terminated, the shortest route shall be taken when returning to the driving licence testing centre.